[NTCP] Gene Getz

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Mon May 24 10:28:19 EDT 2004

     Howdy all,

In his mega-seller classic "The Measure of a Man," Getz takes the
"qualifications" for leadership and applies them to every Christian man.
Very interesting and very easy to do because they are, in fact, required
of all saints.

"Paul simply pulled together several qualities he and other authors
mentioned elsewhere in the NT and then compiled a marvelous profile for
measuring our maturity level in Christ." (page 32 of the 1995 edition)

Gene Getz now has another book out on leadership: "Elders and Leaders."
Anyone seen it? Of course, in his view, elders are still less than
pastors and so we are left with another unscriptural, vertical leadership
arrangement.

But hey, let's not be too hard on these institutional types, we have
plenty of confusion in our own, in the land of house churches. According
to the Gene Edwards eldership book, for example, some churches had elders
- others not. I suppose it never occurred to either of these Gene's that
the word 'elder' means precisely what it says - 'older.'

Link, did you finish the book on the New Testament Deacon, by Alexander
Strauch? And your thoughts are?

     David Anderson

New Testament Church Proliferation is sponsored by the House Church Network.

New Testament Church Proliferation has been renamed. These discussions, via the web, now occur at the Radically Christian Cafe.

house church eldership servanthood lord's day lord's supper world missions