[NTCP] Gene Getz (deacons)

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Sat May 29 14:56:02 EDT 2004

>Would you agree that scripture distinguishes various kinds of deacons by the
>manner of their appointment?
>
>Your brother in Christ,
>Bruce

    Hi Bruce,

I wish I had several hours today to reply to your post as it pertains to
both elders and deacons. I'll try to get back to it soon, under each
heading.

I don't know what goes on in the mind of someone like Gene Getz. The
bestselling eldership book, by Alexander Strauch, clearly demonstrates
that elders and pastors are one. I cannot imagine that Gene is unaware of
that book. (I seriously doubt that Getz would come into a forum like this
and risk an embarrassing question or two.)

The words translated in English as "appoint" or "ordain" come from about
a dozen or so different words in the Hebrew and Greek. This would make
one wonder what the different shades of meaning were prior to our English
translations.

In short, I would say that "context rules" as the words "diakonia,
diakonos" had no religious connotations in the culture in which the
apostles used them. In other words, they were imported into the
vocabulary of the church. So broad is the meaning that even servants of
Satan are called "deacons." It was a very flexible term, imo, generally
denoting services (even of a menial nature). Jesus washing the feet of
his disciples comes to mind.

Mark 10:45 For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to
minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

So, Jesus himself was a "deacon." For some reason, in the mainline
churches, the deacon is regarded as the lowest officer.

John 12:26 If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there
shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.

Every Christian, then, is appointed to be some sort of a "deacon."

     David Anderson

New Testament Church Proliferation is sponsored by the House Church Network.

New Testament Church Proliferation has been renamed. These discussions, via the web, now occur at the Radically Christian Cafe.

house church eldership servanthood lord's day lord's supper world missions